Translate

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

[BLUE's corner]: what even are words? #1

 





This blog has been silent as far as blogs should go. Honestly, I have no idea how to keep it alive. 


I have previously stated the role of the books I am reading and have read for the purpose of this blog. But, I'm in a bit of a pickle because my reading progress hasn't been phenomenal as of late. Also, none of the books I'm reading are particularly striking a chord.


Nothing will change though. My reading list would continue to be the major content of my posts. 


But, I did promise to set aside some space for the more non-specific book-related stories of my life. 


Besides, why should the name of the blog even be about blue being blue when she can't post about random stuff that doesn't actually matter most of the time? And let me tell you a secret about her. She's chaotic as heck!


I have already told you about the tale of how I came to love reading. You can read it again if you like just so you wouldn't be out of the loop. It's a bit of an interesting story for me and I like to make it a fun fact about myself that I often, unfortunately, can't bring up unless the conversation allows it. Now I finally can. 


But now, I wanna talk about what I read. Before I dwell on the genres and whatnot, let me start with language--the very words that make up the pages of the book that I can and would like to understand in the future. 


#1 ENGLISH


If you know me, you're probably asking why I start with this and not my own language, which I would like to reveal at a later opportunity (I like suspense that way). There are several reasons for that. 


No. 1, most of you probably and most likely use English often. That's probably why you're reading this because it's written in English.


No. 2, I have just realized how dominant it is in all the media that I consume and produce.  I both feel slightly ashamed and proud about that fact. Slightly ashamed because I, as a citizen of my country, don't read that many books or watch that many movies that are using my national language (more on that soon). Proud on the other hand that I am fluent enough to express myself in a language that dominates the world, which means a lot of people will get the chance to hear me, and I would get more chances in learning the stories of other people. And if you know me, you know that I am head over heels for the tales of everything imaginable, seen, and created.


No. 3, I am in love with this language. Something about it makes me want to write and write and read and read and read. Don't get me wrong, I love other languages too. I can't really say that it's my number one, but it's honestly one of the firsts. Being one of the firsts, it sticks to you. I love its quirkiness, its unpredictability, and its hidden elegance that as a writer, I love to wield. 


Guess that's all the reason... 


Oh, I forgot the last one! 


With this language, I can ramble. I can type on endlessly without stopping and that helps when I want to pour out something that is bothering my head or something that excites it to no end. No breaks. No stops. Pure word vomit. (getting bored by the evident rambling by now?)


So yes, English played a part in the making of me now. It made me more social too. 


I was never really fluent in the language, not until this one specific class back when I was in grade 8. I was fourteen years old then. 


You guessed it! English class. 


We were asked to only speak English for the entire class hour. I wasn't confident enough about that! But I did--became confident! My seatmates were fluent enough to engage me in a conversation without making everything seem awkward and by the end of the year, there you have it! I am an entirely different person(kinda--not much).


My favorite teachers were also mostly English teachers. They're the very people who commended my love of reading and the ones who acknowledged my skill in writing. One specific teacher even left me with her words engraved in my head because of how they resonated with me. Her words were kind of like this: "Literature is life. It is about life." I would add in my head that it also gives life, and that has been so significant to me. 




And there you have it, a ramble in a jumble by Blue. 

Would you read again something as chaotic and random as this?



1 comment:

  1. Before everything else, I have to say that my favorite teachers were mostly teaching English, too!

    And I totally get that feeling. There's something about English that's just not awkward. It's like a go-to language. It's fun and gets the job done. ^^ In however many ways you want it done, with its wide range of vocabularies and differing dialects.

    ReplyDelete

[BLUE'S CORNER]: me and the topic of productivity

  I haven't written anything personal for the last few months. This entry is even the first for this year, 2024. So many things have cha...